SummaryThe The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) Head-Neck Phenotype Research Group is part of the Cancer Imaging Program TCGA Radiology Initiative focused on analyzing images from the TCGA-Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma (HNSC) collection. Multiple modalities of images which correlate to the head-neck tissue data in the TCGA Data Portal are being gathered for submission to The Cancer Imaging Archive (TCIA).
According to the TCGA page on HNSC, researchers hope to make the following types of discoveries:
- Determine whether patterns of genomic changes are different between tumors that metastasize to other regions of the body and tumors that remain in the region of origin.
- Identify genomic differences that distinguish tumors across age and smoking history.
- Identify genomic differences that are associated with viral infection.
Research and Publications
Per TCGA and TCIA Guidelines, formal permission requests are still required to submit publications using TCGA-HNSC data. Please see the following links for more information about the freedom-to-publish criteria for these data sets:
No restrictions; all data available without limitations.
Publication limitations in place until 5/20/2015; please check with firstname.lastname@example.org prior to any publication
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions about these policies.
TCGA Head-Neck Marker Paper and Image Source Sites (ISS)
Imaging Source Site (ISS) Groups (which come from a subset of the originating Tissue Source Sites [TSS] ) will be populated and governed by participants from institutions that have provided imaging data to the archive for a given cancer type. Modeled after TCGA analysis groups, ISS groups are given the opportunity to publish a marker paper for a given cancer type per the guidelines in the table above. A slideset is also available that offers guidelines for Team development "best practices". This opportunity will generate increased participation in building these multi-institutional data sets as they become an open community resource. Current TCGA-HNSC source sites include:
- University of Pittsburgh (UPMC) (TSS code "-CN-")
- University of North Carolina (TSS code "-BA-")
- Vanderbilt (TSS code "-CR-")
- MD Anderson (TSS code "-CV-")
- Johns Hopkins University (TSS code "-BB-")
This group has not yet been established. We will provide a point of contact for the group from the ISS site(s) as soon as possible to address scientific questions or requests to collaborate with their group.
The following links contain publications from the main TCGA project as well as their posted publication guidelines: