Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
- DICOM PS 3.15 Annex E publishes a table that encodes de-identification actions for a subset of DICOM public elements. The TagSniffer software has an implementation of this table used to generate reports that includes the hexadecimal tag of the public element, the coded action and potentially a list of all unique values found in this element in the collection or sub-collection.
- DICOM PS 3.15 Annex E only documents elements that might reasonably contain PHI. We have extended the table used by TagSniffer to include a larger set of public elements annotated with the same coding scheme. Not all public elements have been added to the TagSniffer table. As we run into more datasets with elements that are not in our table, we can extend the table.
- Review the output of the TagSniffer software for elements that have clear actions that do not require review. Examples are the coded actions Z (zero), X (delete), K (keep). Encode the proper action in the CTP de-identification script.
- Review the TagSniffer output for elements that will require review. Some of these are encoded with R (review); others are encoded with C (clean). Note that R is a coded value defined by MIR and not DICOM PS 3.15 Annex E. Determine the proper action for each element and implement in the CTP de-identification script.
- 0008 103E is coded by PS 3.15 Annex E with X for delete. The NCI wants us to retain this value. Review this for PHI as if it was encoded as C or R. We need to update our implementation tables.
- The original combination of CTP + scripts in the field entered some elements in images with zero length when the logic should have been "if present, replace with zero-length element". These require further review for DICOM SR objects. For DICOM images, delete these elements:
- 0008 0100 Code Value
- 0008 0102 Coding Scheme Designator
- 0008 0104 Code Meaning
- 0040 2016 Placer Order Number
- 0040 2017 Filler Order Number
- 0040 A075 Verifying Observer Name
- 0040 A088 Verifying Observer Code Sequence
- 0040 A123 Person Name
- 0070 0084 Content Creator's Name
- These elements might be found in images but either contain information that will have PHI or are dates that are not really helpful for researchers. In the context of these dates, it is not worth the time/effort to offset the dates and then check them later to make sure they are correct. It is better to just delete them. We will get these actions encoded in our TagSniffer software:
- 0032 1000 Scheduled Study Start Date
- 0032 1001 Scheduled Study Start Time
- 0032 1050 Study Completion Date
- 0032 1051 Study Completion Time
- 0040 0244 Performed Procedure Step Start Date
- 0040 0245 Performed Procedure Step Start Time
- 0040 0250 Performed Procedure Step End Date
- 0040 0251 Performed Procedure Step End Time
- 0040 0275 Request Attributes Sequence