From a TCIA user:
I have been contacted that my NLST project is approved and I must send a drive to TCIA for them to load the data onto a disk I provide. I have some drives in my laboratory, and I could purchase a new drive for this purpose. Which drive should I choose?
Note that this list is subject to change. (Last updated Oct 2018)
Hard drive manufacturers are known to change what actual drive is inside an enclosure at random times during manufacture without warning, so a drive enclosure on the GOOD list could fall off that list at any time.
Internal drives on the GOOD list should never fall off the list (so long as you get the exact model number listed).
These drives are known to work for this purpose.
External (USB) Drives/Enclosures (prefer USB 3 or 3.1, prefer separate power & data cables. It is not required to have USA-compatible power plug, we have some adapters.)
- WD Elements Desktop WDBWLG0040HBK - Hard drive - 4 TB - USB 3.0 (WDBWLG0040HBK-NESN)
- WD 8TB My Book Duo Desktop RAID External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBLWE0080JCH-NESN
- WD 12TB My Book Duo Desktop RAID External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBLWE0120JCH-NESN, WDBFBE0120JBK-NESN
- WD 16TB My Book Duo Desktop RAID External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBLWE0160JCH-NESN
- 8TB WD Easystore External Hard Drive - WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN
- Any WD Blue Drive, 2TB to 6TB (Models: WD60EZRZ, WD50EZRZ, WD40EZRZ, WD30EZRZ, WD20EZRZ)
- Any WD Red Drive, 1TB to 8TB (Models: WD80EFZX, WD60EFRX, WD50EFRX, WD40EFRX, WD30EFRX, WD20EFRX, WD10EFRX)
- Any WD Purple Drive, 1TB to 8TB (Models WD80PUZX, WD60PURX, WD50PURX, WD40PURX, WD30PURX, WD20PURX, WD10PURX)
- Any Seagate IronWolf/NAS Drive, 1TB to 10TB (Models: ST10000VN0004, ST8000VN0022, ST6000VN0041, ST4000VN008, ST3000VN007, ST2000VN004, ST1000VN002)
- Any Seagate SkyHawk/Surveillance Drive, 1TB to 10TB (Models: ST10000VX0004 ST8000VX00222 ST6000VX00232 ST4000VX0072 ST3000VX0102 ST2000VX0082 ST1000VX0052
Do not ship a drive on this list to TCIA for NLST-transfers. They will not work smoothly for this purpose.
- Seagate Archive HDD 8TB SATA 6GBps 128MB Cache SATA Hard Drive (ST8000AS0002) and all enclosures that include this drive, including:
- Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB External Desktop Hard Drive Storage (STEL8000100 or STEL8000300)
- Seagate Backup Plus 6TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT6000100)
- Seagate Innov8 8TB Desktop USB-C Hard Drive STFG8000400
Any Seagate Barracuda Pro/Compute Drive, 6TB to 10TB (Models: ST10000DM0004, ST8000DM005, ST6000DM004)
Any Seagate Barracuda Drive, 1TB to 4TB (Models: ST4000DM005, ST3000DM008, ST2000DM006, ST1000DM010)
- Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive 4TB 3.5" USB 3.0 will not work.
- Seagate ST8000AS0002-1NA17Z
- Toshiba 2Tb Canvio
- WD MyPassport 4TB or larger (smaller MyPassport seem to work ok as noted above)
Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. Click to edit the macro and add or change labels.