The Cancer Genome Atlas Glioblastoma Multiforme (TCGA-GBM) data collection is part of a larger effort
to build a research community focused on connecting cancer phenotypes to genotypes by providing clinical images matched to subjects from The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA
Clinical, genetic, and
pathological data resides in
the Genomic Data Commons (GDC) Data Portal while the radiological data is stored on The Cancer Imaging Archive (TCIA).
Matched TCGA patient identifiers in both repositories, allowing allow researchers to explore the TCGA/TCIA databases for correlations between tissue genotype and radiological phenotype. This Collection within the Cancer Imaging Archive is related to the GBM disease type within TCGA.Institutions , radiological phenotype and patient outcomes. Tissues for TCGA were collected from many sites all over the world in order to reach their accrual targets, usually around 500 specimens per cancer type. For this reason the image data sets are also extremely heterogeneous in terms of scanner modalities, manufacturers and acquisition protocols. In most cases the images were acquired as part of routine care and not as part of a controlled research study or clinical trial.
CIP TCGA Radiology Initiative
Imaging Source Site (ISS) Groups are being populated and governed by participants from institutions that have provided imaging data to the archive for a given cancer type. Modeled after TCGA analysis groups, ISS groups are given the opportunity to publish a marker paper for a given cancer type per the guidelines in the table above. This opportunity will generate increased participation in building these multi-institutional data sets as they become an open community resource. Learn more about the TCGA Glioma Phenotype Research Group.
We would like to acknowledge the individuals and institutions that have provided data for this collection include:
- Henry Ford
- MD Anderson
- Emory (in progress)
- Duke (in progress)
Number of Patients
131 (additional cases to be added shortly)
Number of Studies
Number of Series
Number of Images
You can view and download these images on the Cancer Imaging Archive by selecting the TCGA-GBM collection. If you are unsure how to download this Collection view our quick guide on Searching by Collection or you can refer to our The Cancer Imaging Archive User's Guide for more detailed instructions on using the site.
CIP TCGA-GBM Informatics Initiative
- Hospital, Detroit, MI - Special thanks to Lisa Scarpace and Tom Mikkelsen, MD from the Department of Neurosurgery, Hermelin Brain Tumor Center.
- University of California, San Francisco, CA - Special thanks to Soonmee Cha, MD from the Department of Neurological Surgery, Brain Tumor Research Center.
- MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX - Special thanks to Sujaya Rao and Sangeeta Tekchandani from the Office of Translational/Clinical Research.
- Emory University, Atlanta, GA - Special thanks to David Gutman, MD, Ph.D. and Joel Saltz, MD, Ph.D. from the Center for Comprehensive Informatics.
- Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelpha, PA - Special thanks to Nancy Pedano and Adam E. Flanders, MD from the Department of Radiology, Jefferson Medical College.
- CWRU School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH - Special thanks to Jill Barnholtz-Sloan, Ph.D. and Quinn Ostrom, MA, MPH from Case Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC - Special thanks to Daniel Barboriak, MD and Laura J Pierce.
- Fondazione IRCCS Instituto Neuroligico C. Besta, Milan, Italy - Special thanks to Domenico Aquino and Alessandro Perin MD.