You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.
SPIE, along with the support of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI), will conduct a “Grand Challenge” on quantitative image analysis methods for the diagnostic classification of clinically significant prostate lesions. As part of the 2017 SPIE Medical Imaging Symposium, the PROSTATEx Challenge will provide a unique opportunity for participants to compare their algorithms with those of others from academia, industry, and government in a structured, direct way using the same data sets. For more details, go to http://www.spie.org/PROSTATEx/. To register for the challenge visit http://spiechallenges.cloudapp.net/.
- Release date of training set cases with truth (tentative): October 17, 2016
- Release date of test set cases without truth: December 5, 2016
- Submission date for participants’ test set classification output: January 6, 2017
- Challenge results released to participants: January 13, 2017
- SPIE Medical Imaging Symposium: February 13-16, 2017
Choosing the Download option will provide you with a file to launch the TCIA Download Manager to download the entire collection. If you want to browse or filter the data to select only specific scans/studies please use the Search By Collection option.
|Data Type||Download all or Query/Filter|
|Images (DICOM, __ GB)|
(zip file of mhd and zraw)
Click the Versions tab for more info about data releases.
Image Analyses (segmentations)
Number of Patients
Number of Studies
Number of Series
~4 sets of MRI scan data per case
Number of Images
|Images Size (GB)|
For more information:
The database for this challenge will contain a total of approximately 350 MRI cases, each from a single examination from a distinct patient. Approximately 60% of the cases will serve as the training set, and the remaining 40% of the cases will serve as the test set, with each case consisting of four sets of MRI scan data: two sets of T2-weighted images (transaxial and sagittal; DICOM format), Ktrans images (computed from dynamic contrast-enhanced (DCE) images; mhd format), and apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) images (computed from diffusion-weighted (DWI) imaging; DICOM format). Each case will contain at least one prostate lesion with biopsy-proven malignancy status or with imaging findings with sufficiently low suspicion of clinical significance. Lesion location (along with a reference thumbnail image of the lesion) will be provided as this is not a detection task. Gleason scores and PI-RADS scores will not be released with this challenge, since they will become the focus of a follow-up challenge to be held in conjunction with the 2017 AAPM Annual Meeting in July 2017.
Nodule locations and diagnoses
- CalibrationSet_NoduleData.xlsx - Nodule locations and diagnoses
- TestSet_NoduleData.xlsx - Nodule locations; diagnoses to be added after manuscript publication
Citations & Data Usage Policy
This collection is freely available to browse, download, and use for commercial, scientific and educational purposes as outlined in the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. See TCIA's Data Usage Policies and Restrictions for additional details. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be sure to include the following citations in your work if you use this data set:
Geert Litjens, Oscar Debats, Jelle Barentsz, Nico Karssemeijer, and Henkjan Huisman. ProstateX Challenge data. <doi coming soon>
Clark K, Vendt B, Smith K, Freymann J, Kirby J, Koppel P, Moore S, Phillips S, Maffitt D, Pringle M, Tarbox L, Prior F. The Cancer Imaging Archive (TCIA): Maintaining and Operating a Public Information Repository, Journal of Digital Imaging, Volume 26, Number 6, December, 2013, pp 1045-1057. (paper)
Other Publications Using This Data
TCIA maintains a list of publications which leverage our data. At this time we are not aware of any publications based on this data. If you have a publication you'd like to add please contact the TCIA Helpdesk.
Version 1 (Current): Updated 2016/10/06
|Data Type||Download all or Query/Filter|
|Images (DICOM, ___ GB)|
|Nodule Locations/Diagnoses - Calibration Set (XLS)|
|Nodule Locations - Test Set (XLS)|
- No labels